From The Township of Sandwich, Past and Present by Frederick Neal
published in 1909 by Frederick Neal, Sandwich, Ont.
On Sunday, September 20, 1903, was celebrated the one hundredth anniversary - or the centenary - of St. John's Church, Sandwich. For one hundred years the Episcopalians of Sandwich have been loyal to their little church, and well they might be, for it was established by heroes and supported from the affections of the people when money was scarce and ministerial talent difficult to secure.
A large number from Windsor, Sandwich and vicinity were present to hear the address of Judge Robt. S. Woods, of Chatham, which address was a clear and succinct history of the Essex frontier, as well as the story of the early struggles and later triumphs of St. John's church.
The old church abounds in historic interest.
The church yard, which forms a fitting background for the sacred edifice, is as worthy of commemoration.
Among those who sleep, "each in his narrow cell," are makers of history, as well as the "rude forefathers" who struggled with foes of flesh and blood in addition to the giants of the forest, for the land along the Detroit river is historic ground, the scene of the war of 1812.
Inside the quaint old church are marble tablets which serve to refresh the names of men and women of past generations in the memories of the present.
The church has recently been renovated and provided with a new pipe organ, the latter being dedicated to the memory of the late Richard Pollard, the first rector of the church. It may be strongly mentioned here that the mural decorations, the tinting of the walls, is the work of James Rosier, who gave his services free. Some changes have been made, notably in the position occupied by the choir. The new organ is rich in tone and is an instrument that is a credit to the venerable surroundings.
The Most Revd David Williams MA, DD, DCL, LLD
Fourth Bishop of Huron
6 January 1905 -
7 October 1931
(died in office)