247 County Road 34 West, Cottam, Ontario
Minister: Rev'd Christine Brouillard-Coyle.
(since June 12th, 2011. She had previously provided interim ministry at St. James', Roseland, Windsor)
Cottam is a small community within the town of Kingsville, Ontario (2006 pop. 20,908). It is in the centre of Essex County where County Roads 34 and 27 intersect about 30km south-east of Windsor, ON and Detroit, MI.
Lured by land grants, settlers began arriving in the Essex County area in the late 1700's. It wasn't long before many had to abandon their land due to such things as delays in promised assistance, isolation and lack of roads needed to transport produce. The early 1800's saw people settling along Talbot Road (now County Rd. 34), which was then little more than an Indian trail. One can hardly imagine the strength of body and soul these people must have had to persevere in those early years.
In those days, letters were few and far between but eventually (1870) a post office was opened at a nearby settlement with W.E. Wagstaff as the postmaster. He named Cottam after a village in England where he had once lived.
A bustling community in its earlier years, Cottam is now categorized as a bedroom community. Its main attraction for local farmers is the grain elevator. Along with a bank and post office, Cottam offers the usual small-town amenities. New subdivisions continue to develop around its perimeter. Schools, recreational facilities, shopping opportunities, health services etc., are within short driving distances.
Trinity Anglican Church was established in 1866 and therefore has a long history of parish life in the community. It is fondly referred to as the little white church in the cemetery and proudly takes its place as a landmark in this area.
Its parish family has been ever mindful of its sense of mission and outreach. Membership is presently on the rise and we invite participation in our weekly services, in leadership roles, choir, Anglican Church Women, Sunday School as well as input regarding special events and projects.
Trinity has a lively, involved congregation. Our door is always open to visitors and new members.
Our two-point parish consists also of St. Paul's in Essex, about ten minutes east of Cottam.
The parish is in the Deanery of Essex of the Diocese of Huron.